Thursday, January 31, 2013

"And we're back in the game."

Have you seen the movie, "Ten Things I Hate About You?"  There's a boy (played by Joseph Gordon Levitt, who I have a little crush on myself) in it that has a crush on this girl, but believes she's out of his league.  Still, he makes small attempts at getting her attention.  He thinks he's blown his chance at one point, only to find out that maybe he hasn't.  Maybe he still has a shot.  That's when he says, "And we're back in the game." 

I haven't been writing my blog very consistently lately.  I've been in a "down" mood.  I haven't felt motivated to do much.  I've been thinking, "What's the point?  It doesn't really matter.  It's not amounting to much anyway." 

I needed a break.  So I gave it to myself.  I decided instead of pushing myself through whatever it is, to just relax into it and let it be. 

But now I feel "back in the game."  I feel excited about life again.  I feel energized.

I had to remind myself to be kind to me.  I tend to deny myself things.  Delay gratification.  Tell myself, "You don't really need that."  Sometimes that's true of course.  But sometimes I do need that overly priced latte, for example.  For my mental sanity and emotional health.  Sometimes a little treat for you is needed.  Give it to yourself. 

Do you need a day off now and then?  Take it!  A week away?  Take it!  (If you can... I realize that one is more difficult with jobs and daily responsibilities for most of us.)  And if you really can't, or it's too difficult (because you could) take a whole week off, then just take a day but fill it with whatever sings to you.  Whatever makes you happy and refills your battery. 

Sometimes we all need to give ourselves time to just be.  Whether it's a week, a day, or just a couple hours. 

We're not always going to be in an energetic, go-go-go mood.  And that's ok.  Everything comes and goes.  Up and down.  It's a cycle. 

So spend an evening doing a puzzle, reading, journaling, taking a bath and doing your nails - whatever you enjoy for the sheer pleasure of it.  Everything doesn't always have to be a means to an end.  The "end" is your happiness.  Your joy.  Your peace. 

And really, there's no greater end.

So today make a conscious effort to listen to your spirit and DO what it's telling you it needs.  It's what you need. 

Be kind to yourself.  Be gentle.  Be loving. 

You deserve it.  And I do too. 


Quotes of the Day:

"Most people are so busy knocking themselves out trying to do everything they think they should do, they never get around to what they want to do." (Kathleen Winsor)

"Life lived amidst tension and busyness needs leisure. Leisure that recreates and renews. Leisure should be a time to think new thoughts, not ponder old ills."   (C. Neil Strait) 
"The feeling of being hurried is not usually the result of living a full life and having no time. It is on the contrary born of a vague fear that we are wasting our life."  (Eric Hoffer) 

    

No comments:

Post a Comment