Friday, December 20, 2013

Allow Yourself to Change

Our path in life isn't a straight shot.  Sometimes we think we know what we want, what will suit us, what will make us happy... so we head down that path, only to find it not what we expected at all.

If that happens to you, give yourself permission to back out of that path and take a new one.

I recently had to do that myself.

As you may know, I've been working as a freelance writer (copywriting and business marketing) for the past 3 months or so.  Actually, working may not be the right word.  More like, trying to get it going.

But regardless, in trying to get my business going, I've had several "false starts."  Several paths I've ventured down, only to realize part-way down that I wasn't all that comfortable on that path after all.

I did the same thing in college.  I think I officially had 4 majors before graduating.  And unofficially I probably had at least 6 or 7.

One thing would sound good to me. I'd think, "Yes!  This is it!  This is what I want to do!"  I felt so sure.  So I boldly and confidently walked down the path.

Then I either learned something I didn't know before, or something else seemed a better fit for me, so I'd back out of that path and made a new choice.

Some people can make a choice and stick with it.  Maybe they really have found their life's purpose and dream job (or whatever the choice may be).  Or maybe they don't care -- they just don't want to make a change.

Whether this is a personality trait, character trait, or belief about life... I don't have it.

I seem to be innately incapable of forcing myself to do something which I don't want to do.

I'm not talking minute, unimportant little things.  I don't want to pick up dog poop in my back yard, but I can make myself do it.  I'm talking more weighty decisions such as what I want to spend hours doing for my chosen line of work.

My point is this:  Allow yourself to change.  To evolve.  To grow.  To become the "you" you're meant to be.

Some people seem afraid of changing.  They don't want to "look bad" to other people.  They're afraid what others will think of them if they change their mind, pursue a new direction, do something unexpected and different.

You gotta get over that!  

I'm not immune to those thoughts and fears.  When I recently decided to switch my copywriting niche I had the same thoughts running through my head.  I had announced to everyone what my niche was.  I was proud of it.  I was excited.  I was sure "that was it."

Then slowly, over time, I realized I wasn't happy anymore.  I wanted to do something else.  Not abandon that niche entirely, but just open myself up to more variety.

I worried how I'd look to others.  To all those people I declared my chosen niche to.  Would they think I was fickle?  Immature?  Falling prey to "shiny ball syndrome."

I don't know what they thought, didn't think, or will think.  But I reminded myself that it didn't matter.  It's my life.  I'm going to do what makes me happy.

What makes you happy?  What do you feel drawn to do?

Regardless of what anyone thinks (but you), I encourage you to take that new path.  Pursue that different direction.  Check it out.  It may not be what you think it'll be... but it may be all that and more!

You'll never know until you put yourself out there and do.

                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment