Thursday, May 15, 2014

"I Want To" vs. "I Should"

Do you often struggle with what you WANT to do versus what you feel you SHOULD do?  I think it's certainly a normal part of life.  And unfortunately, it seems, our "wants" don't always match up to our "shoulds."

This has been a point of struggle for me in recent years.  I still don't have the answer.  I'm still trying to balance following my heart, my passion, and my interests... and being "smart" and responsible.

For example:  I WANT to be a full-time fiction writer.  And I SHOULD work a full-time job with a steady paycheck.

I'm still hoping that one day those two will merge.  One day my fiction writing WILL provide the steady, abundant paycheck I need to live on.  But the present reality is, it doesn't.

What dreams, desires, goals, or wants do you have for yourself that currently conflict with your shoulds?  How are you dealing with that?

I believe in the power of our thoughts.  I believe that what we think, eventually comes to pass, in one way or another.  That's why I'm so reticent to "resign" myself to thinking, "Oh, I just have to work a steady job for that steady paycheck."  I know there are other ways to make a living than working a steady, traditional job.  So I continue to work on my thoughts and beliefs around that matter.

Likewise, HOW we think about something can make all the difference.

I "should" just keep working at my job, bringing in the steady paycheck, enjoying the benefits.
I WANT to continue working at my job so I CAN bring in the steady paycheck and pay all my bills!

Call me crazy, but I like having a house to live in.  I like having a car to drive.  I like cable television, cell phones, and internet.  I also like to eat, and I like to provide for my animals.  These LIKES require money to fund them.  And I LIKE making money.  My money SOURCE right now is my traditional job.  I'm grateful for it.  I'm thankful I HAVE a job that allows me to have these things I like and want.

It wasn't too long ago that that wasn't the case.  Just 3 months ago I didn't have a job.  I was on the tail end of my "copywriting career," if you could call it that.  It never got off the ground, really.  I made a go of it, it didn't work out, and that's just how it is.  I was nearly out of savings and had no clue what I would do for money after I ran out.  Then came this job.

I was ecstatic when I got it.  I wrote a post on that too.  I have noticed myself, though, slipping back into the "have to" of my job.  I "have to" go to work.  I "have to" do ______.

Remember though, it's all about HOW we think about stuff and the words we use.  Words carry feeling behind them.

I "have to" go to work can become "I WANT to go to work because I LIKE receiving the paycheck every other Friday, and I LIKE watching my savings go UP instead of down!"

I'm still going to piggy-back on my post yesterday and say that I believe we should all continue following our hearts and pursuing our passions.  Giving up on your passions, stopping chasing your dreams, that's virtually the end of LIFE if you ask me.  At least the end of the fun part of life!

So don't give up your dreams.  Don't stop pursuing what you ultimately would LOVE to do with and in your life.  But also practice being grateful for what you have and where you are RIGHT NOW.

It's all a stepping stone.  Your place in life as you read this isn't (most likely) your final spot.  It's not the end of the road, the last stop on the train.  The road goes on.  Farther than the eye can see. The train has more stops.  Just hang on.  Keep going.

Appreciate your present station in life, and USE it to get to the next station.

Enjoy the ride!  WANT to live your life to the fullest and WANT to be your best self, wherever you are!

Peace and love to you.

Sarah












No comments:

Post a Comment