Sunday, May 22, 2016

Enough is Enough

More. Who doesn't want more? Of the good stuff anyway.

More money. More time. More love.

In my second reading of "Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life," the 9th chapter spoke to me. In it, Wayne Dyer writes:

"Cramming life with possessions, pleasures, pride, and activities when we've obviously reached a point where more is less indicates being in harmony with the ego, not the Tao... The Pursuit of more status, more money, more power, more approval, more stuff, is as foolish as honing a carving knife after it has reached its zenith of sharpness." (p. 45)

The reason this chapter jumped out at me is because I've been struggling with accepting the fact that a potential job I am going after pays considerably less than other jobs in the same field.

At first, I didn't intend to even apply to this particular employer. Strictly because of the salary. Then I realized I'd rather work there than nowhere, should it come to that, so I applied. And now I have an interview coming up. Which, I have to admit, I am very excited about. I just had to get over my obsession with the money.

Then I read this chapter of Wayne's book.

                                   Image result for quotes about love and money

Money isn't everything. By any means. I know this. We all know this. Yet many of us spend way too much time worrying about it and wishing we had more of it. But do we have enough? Do you? Do I?

Money can buy many fine things, as the quote above says. But only you can choose to enjoy those things. Only you can choose whether you enjoy your life or not, regardless of what you have or don't have.

Certainly, I would rather work at a job I love for less pay than feel stuck in a job I hate, but bring home a higher paycheck. As long as there's enough money... then enough is enough.

What area of your life do you need to realize enough is enough? Where do you need to let go of the constant urge to pursue more, more, more? Where do you need to sit back, relax, and enjoy what you have? 

No comments:

Post a Comment