Saturday, May 14, 2016

Failure and Life

"It's impossible to live without failing at something." - J.K. Rowling

Yesterday I had an especially strong interaction with failure. Or rather, the feeling of failure. Quite simply, I felt like I failed at everything I tried. I felt like a big, fat failure, ashamed and embarrassed.   

Whenever you're feeling like a failure, it's a sign that you're not content with your life as it is. And often that you regret either choices you've made in the past, or rather, how those choices turned out.

This is definitely true for me. I certainly regret choices I've made in the past -- because of the results of those choices. But here's the thing. I didn't know, I couldn't know, what those results would be prior to making the choice!

Every choice, every decision, I've made in my life has been what I thought was the best for me at that time. I'm sure everyone can say this. Why would anyone intentionally choose or decide something that they knew would be bad or work out to their detriment? No one would. So it's time I start giving myself the grace and forgiveness I'd give to other people lamenting over their own regrets.

"Whatever difficulties you're going through, they did not come to stay, they came to pass!" - Global Expert Space on Facebook.

"Whatever you feel within you as your calling -- whatever makes you feel alive -- know in your heart that this excitement is all the evidence you need to have your inner passion become reality." (Wayne Dyer, "Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life, p. 30). 

I've just been doubting a lot lately. Doubting if I'm making the right choices. Doubting if I'm on the right path. Doubting, doubting, doubting. BLAH!

"Whatever you feel compelled to do...do it with your unique flair. Being creative means trusting your inner calling, ignoring criticism or judgment, and releasing resistance to your natural talents.... 'Without fail, [the spirit] brings us to our own perfection.' Then choose to let go of the doubt and fear..." (Wayne Dyer, p. 31).

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game-winning shot, and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that's why I succeed." - Michael Jordan

                                      Image result for failure quotes

Or, in comment to the quote in the picture above, you have succeeded, it's just that perhaps that success didn't last as long as you would have liked or didn't feel like you expected.

That's the thing with life. None of us are perfect in everything on our first attempt. Sure, some people may "get it" quicker than others. And some people simply may not take as many risks or make as many attempts at stepping outside of their "box."

But it's YOUR life. And MY life. Embrace the choices you've made! As long as you've learned and grown, it's not a mistake. It was an opportunity for learning and growth!

So what opportunities await you and me today? Let's summon our courage, step outside of our boxes, and FIND OUT!

No comments:

Post a Comment