Friday, January 9, 2015

Forgiveness - Part 1

I started reading Iyanla Vanzant's book, "Forgiveness: 21 Days to Forgive Everyone for Everything" last night. Already I can tell this will be an amazingly healing book for me and a great learning and growing tool.

It inspired me so much, I wanted to write this blog post to share what I've learned so far... just 22 pages in.

"Regardless of how hard, painful, etc. an experience may seem, everything is exactly as it needs to be for us to heal, grow, and learn."

That was the first quote that jumped off the page at me.

Regardless of how hard, painful, etc..... Everything is exactly as it needs to be...

Everything.

We've all had tough times. Experiences where we feel life is incredibly unfair or people are treating us with total disregard and disrespect. I've been there too. But it's essential, for our present and future well-being, peace, and happiness, to remind ourselves that no matter what, it's all happening for us, and for the greatest good for everyone.

"The moment we determine what is, should not be, we are denying the presence of love. Love is always present, surrounding us, guiding, growing, and teaching us."

 I had to read that sentence a few times to get the emphasis in the right places and understand it correctly.

Basically, as soon as we decide, in all our great wisdom (hear the sarcasm there), that what happened, or how things are, shouldn't be that way... we are denying the Love that is there for us in that experience.

We usually cannot see the "grand plan" of the Universe. And when we attempt to fight reality, we are robbing ourselves of peace and happiness.

That is not what the Universe intends for any of us.

"Forgiveness leads to acceptance. Acceptance means you know, regardless of what happened, that there's something bigger than you at work. It also means you know you are okay and you'll continue to be okay." 

I'm not always good with acceptance. I want things the way I want them. The way I think they should be. Admittedly, I've spent way too much time fighting with reality the past few years.

I'm afraid if things don't go the way I think they should, then I won't be ok. Then things will fall apart. People will leave. I'll be hurt.

I know that's not true, intellectually. But the fear is still there. 

I am hoping Iyanla's book will help show me how to improve in this area. Teach me how to accept more and forgive more. (I think it will and I'm excited to keep reading!)

                                   

                                             

                                        


No comments:

Post a Comment