Monday, January 6, 2014

Know When to Hold 'Em, Know When to Fold 'Em

I was never a big fan of the song, "The Gambler."  But as I listen to it now (literally, listening to it via YouTube as I type this), it's pretty great life advice...

"You've got to know when to hold 'em,
Know when to fold 'em,
Know when to walk away,
And know when to run."

Those are the lyrics everyone knows.  But as the song goes on, it says this too:

"Every gambler knows the secret to survivin'
Is knowin' what to throw away, 
And knowin' what to keep.
'Cause every hand's a winner.  
And every hand's a loser." 

"Every hand's a winner and every hand's a loser."

It's all in how you play the game.  What you do with the cards you're dealt.  And it's not always easy to know what to do with what's in your hand.

That's where I'm at now.  And I feel like I'm not very good at knowing what to throw away and what to keep.

It's kind of funny that I'm using this analogy, and that's it's so applicable, because I've never even liked playing cards (until the game, Phase 10, which I love, but that's beside the matter).

Sometimes I feel like I keep trying different things, and nothing quite pans out.

Take my current career... of lack thereof at the moment.

I made the jump to being a full-time writer two and a half years ago.  I wrote fiction novels to start (it was my dream).  When I wasn't making a living from my fiction novels, I turned to copywriting... and more of a "business" side of writing.  I learned a lot, read a lot, and was excited.  But that hasn't gone as I thought it would either.    

Maybe I give up too easily.  Maybe I jump ship too soon.

I admit, I want things to be easy.  There, I said it.  I'm not afraid of hard work, I'm just getting tired with putting in effort and time and not seeing any positive results.

I apologize now if this post comes across as a bit of a rant.  But it's where I'm at at the moment.  I don't know what to do.  Hold 'em, or fold 'em?  Walk away, or run?  Or stick it out?

I don't have the answer yet.  I'm sure it'll come to me in time.

                                           

For the time being, the only "answer" I have is to keep going.

One sure-fired way NOT to live the life of your dreams is to not even try.  To give up.

I'm not giving up... and I hope you don't either.  No one said this journey called life was going to be easy.        
                                      

* Addendum:
As I was reading through this post before publishing it, a reminder came to mind.

Be grateful.  

I've been focusing on what I don't have, instead of what I do have.

I have a nice house that I love.  I have a supportive and loving fiance.  I have great family and friends.  I have money in the bank.

I'm just scared and unsure... that's all.  I don't know how the future will play out.  None of us do.  And I suppose sometimes that just gets to me.  The uncertainty of it.

Where will money come from after I use up what I have?  I  don't know.

That's the fear that's rising up within me and what drove the post above.

What I do know is it's always worked out in the past.  Always.  Every time.  Time to put my trust in that force again.

** Wherever you are in your life journey, I'd love to hear about it!  Post comments below, or feel free to email me privately and directly at sarah@sarahdizney.com.  I read every email and will respond.

In peace and Love,
Sarah  


4 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah - Great post! Just keep going - you'll get there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember Sarah, Whatever you focus on grows. If you focus on the positive things in your life they will grow, if you focus on the negative they will grow too. You have to change your focus. As Joe Strummer said, The future is unwritten. The present is the only thing certain. Focus on the present and don't worry so much about the future. But I feel you on your post because we ALL feel this way once in awhile in our lives. But that is what makes life so fascinating. Great post, it was such an inspiration for me to read this. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely true, Talya, thanks for the reminder! :)

      Delete