Wednesday, May 15, 2013

What Would You Do Differently IF________?

"They" say to act as IF you already have everything you want.  To act as IF you already are the person you want to be, you have the success you desire, the money you desire, the status you desire.  Wayne Dyer, for one, teaches that we are, in fact, already what we desire.  It's already here.  We just have to open our eyes and see it. 

                                                    

Ok.  I got to thinking about that yesterday when I was walking my dogs (when else?).  How would I act differently if I did already have the success and abundance I desire, that feel that I don't currently have?

As I thought about it I realized there isn't a whole lot I would do differently.  I already took my time back.  I'm not working any job for someone else, abiding by their schedule and their rules.  That, I would say, is the most important thing in my life.  And I'm already living that.

I am involved with animals in a capacity I feel that I'm making a difference and I feel good about. 

I'm happy with where I live.  I truly do live in my dream home.  It may not be anybody else's dream home, but it's mine.

Relationship-wise... I'm content, I suppose.  At times I wish I had someone close to spend time with, but at other times I'm happy and content living alone and not being committed to anyone.  Where my life will go in this aspect of my life, I have no idea.  Will I continue living alone the rest of my life, dating here and there, or will I get into a steady, serious, long-term relationship again?  I can honestly see it going either way right now, and I'm content watching it unfold and happen naturally.  I'm not stressed about it.  I don't worry about this part of life.

The single thing I found that I would do differently is in regards to spending money.  I wouldn't worry so much about spending five dollars, or a hundred dollars, feeling like it's gone forever.  I would know more is coming, so I don't have to worry about it. 

                                                    

                                                    

Presently, and for my entire life, I've been money-conscious.  Thrifty.  Frugal.  I watch what I spend and am choosy where my money goes.  Even as a young kid I kept my own "statements," recording in a little notebook the money I brought in (from babysitting or gifts) and the money I spent. 

I am so choosy about spending money because I believe that when I do, I'm giving up that money.  It's gone.  So each choice is bigger than it probably needs to be.  For example, a latte might sound good...but do I want to spend that $4.75 there, or would I rather keep it and save it towards something else?  Or this one... right now I could really use a new ipod.  Mine, even when fully charged, lasts about 20 minutes.  It's one of the ipod "classics" and I've had it for years.  It doesn't have much storage space either.  But when I think about buying a new one, the one I'd choose would likely cost about $150.  That's no latte.  Would I rather have the ipod, and be down $150... or would that money be more wisely saved for some future, unseen event to come? 
                  

This is the thought process I go through before pretty much every purchase.  Even with gift cards. 

I see money as finite.  Limited.  It'll run out if I spend it.  So I don't like to spend much.  I hold onto it.  But am I holding too tightly?  Is this like the water analogy.... If you stick your hand into a flowing river and try to grab ahold of the water, to hold it and keep it, you can't.  But if you just open your hand and let the water flow around it, you'll feel it more.  Experience it more.  You can't experience or enjoy water with a closed fist, trying to hold it... you can only experience it when you're open and let it flow.  Same with money? 

Yes, I have a fear of running out of money.  Therefore, I live my life largely with thoughts of scarcity running through my head. 

I always have enough though.  At least enough to get by.  I know that as well.  But why am I limiting myself to just "getting by?"

As I think about it, that's the way I live my life.  I don't buy something until I really need it.  I "get by" on whatever I have until I can't stand it any longer. 

I have worked jobs as long as I can stand it.  Until I can't stand it any longer, so I make a change and move on.  By that time I've usually built up some savings, which gives me the security to quit that job and leave that paycheck behind.  And I "get by" on my savings until I have another income coming in. 

I'm always "getting by."  But I don't want to just "get by" any more!  I want to live in prosperity and ever-flowing abundance! 

As I learned from the quote (below), it's time to shift my focus.  No more "I want abundance.  I want prosperity."  Just simply ABUNDANCEPROSPERITY

                                               

For the past two days, I have loosened up my purse strings.  On a whim, I decided to go get some frozen yogurt.  I didn't think twice about spending the four dollars.  Last night I wanted some breadsticks.  So I got them.  And enjoyed every bite! 

I do think there's a balance between spending wisely and living in scarcity.  I'm not about throwing money out the window or spending it on useless things I don't need and don't much want either.  But life should be enjoyed!

Abundance is already here!   

I'm starting to see that my being so frugal and weighing the decision to spend every single dollar as if it's my last dollar is holding me back from abundance. 

I'm ready to open my hands and truly experience the flow of the water! 

                                            

Additional Quotes:

                                             

 

     

2 comments:

  1. I hear you on this Sarah. In fact the fear of lack of money is blocking me from moving forward in doing what I really want to do for a living. I figure, I NEED to stay in teaching because it can make me money and I've spent so much in my degree that I SHOULD do it. But screw it! I deserve to be happy NOW and to live my dreams, and the Universe will provide all that I need. Like you said - It always has. I am trying also to focus on an abundance mindset instead of a "lack" mindset, which also includes giving more to others ... tipping more at restaurants, taking friends out to birthday dinners, doing what feels right and being generous (without going overboard of course). I am figuring things out as I go ... but I just need to be patient. I want to clarity for my path NOW and what it will look like - but that's just Ego, (or the Capricorn part of me) that wants a solid plan. I'll be fine, you'll be fine, as long as we just keep on flowing and trusting. Thank you for this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marielle,
      Did I know you were a Capricorn already? I am too! Lol... Maybe that's why we relate to one another so well. Among other reasons.

      I'm glad this post resonated with you. It certainly resonated with me, and I feel it's one of my strongest posts. I like how you are including your living in abundance mindset to tipping more and being more generous in giving. I've been doing the same. It is a balancing thing though, isn't it? Glad to know we're "in this together" as we shift our thoughts from lack and scarcity to abundance and prosperity! All while doing what we love and what we're passionate about... not what we "should."

      I also laughed when you said, "But screw it! I deserve to be happy NOW!" I've been there and probably said the exact thing when I was leaving jobs... especially my teaching job... b/c like you said, I felt I had spent so much time, energy, and money on becoming a teacher, I SHOULD do it, after all.

      BUT life is about finding our calling and then living that calling! And it's usually a winding path.

      All the best to you! Thanks for your comment! I always love them! :)

      Sarah

      Delete