Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Visualization in Action

I was looking through my journal entries from 4-5 months ago recently.  I had forgotten about this, but it was a powerful reminder of the power of visualization.

Four months ago I was unemployed and applying for jobs.  My savings was nearly gone and the only way I knew to get an income was to get a job.  So I applied for many.

While looking and applying, and perhaps even slightly before that, I was at an event in a building, and from where we were seated at the tables on the main floor, you could see the offices on the second floor - their windows overlooked where we were.  I distinctly remember looking at one office, a rather large one.  I could see the desk and chair.  I could see a large poster or picture hung on the wall.

I don't know why, but that appealed to me.  I wanted an office like that.  I wrote about it in my journal.  I wrote that for some reason, I felt that I wanted to work in an office.  I wanted my own desk and window.  I wanted to hang my posters and pictures on the walls.  I could see myself in an office like that.

Yet, I had never worked in an office before.  I've worked in schools, and a variety of retail shops, but never an office.  And never a multi-floor office.

In my journal I also wrote that I felt like I was too late.  I wanted this experience of working in an office, with my own desk, window, etc, but I felt like I was too old to get in that game.  I felt like the people who had those cool offices had started out in an entry level position, and worked their way up to that office.

But wouldn't you figure... the job I got (I got hired at the end of February and started March 3rd)... I got my own office, with a desk and a window!

I got what I had visualized and desired.  I got it.  That is the power of visualization and of setting your intentions and desires.

I remembered that this has occurred for me throughout my life.  I usually didn't know how it would happen, and often I didn't really expect it to happen, but many things that I desired did come to pass for me.

From wanting a little, fluffy dog, but already having two big dogs and not really looking to adopt... I found my little Betty at the humane society and adopted her!  To various relationships I've called into my life.

In college, I wanted a fairly casual, yet deep relationship.  I remember writing in my journal that I knew I wasn't ready for anything too serious, but I wanted a relationship.  That's exactly what I got.  Four years ago I felt ready for that marriage-bound relationship finally, and a few months after I started saying affirmations for that, I met the man I will be marrying in just over a month.

Shifting to jobs, when I was teaching, I knew I didn't want to be a teacher, but I didn't know what else I would want to do.  By chance, I saw a sign language interpreter at my sister's basketball game.  That experience stuck with me, and I never forgot it.  After I decided to quit my teaching job, I found a very good ASL program just a few miles from my house!  I enrolled, making it in just a couple weeks before the deadline for that semester.  The timing was perfect.

Then, when I finished that program, I desired a job as an interpreter.  Though I wasn't sure my skills were good enough, and I didn't know how to go about getting a job in that field.  In a chance encounter, I ran into a woman I knew from one of my sign language classes (we just had 1 class together and were not more than acquaintances).  She was working as an interpreter for a school district and knew they were hiring.  She told me she would put in a good word for me.  I applied for the job, and got it.

See, the Universe takes care of us.  If we are clear about our intentions and desires, the Universe has the power to conspire and bring together events and people to help us.


No comments:

Post a Comment