Thursday, June 19, 2014

What's Your Target?

I read an article by Dr. Phil in O magazine a couple days ago.  It's actually from the May 2014 magazine, so if you subscribe, you can find it there.

Dr. Phil says we "have to name it to claim it."  He discusses how so many people just want to "be happy," yet they haven't defined what that means to them.  What will MAKE them happy?

To quote Dr. Phil: "You've got to have a goal in mind, or you will never have the opportunity to claim it.  Once you have an idea of your true priorities, you can catch yourself before you do anything that doesn't move you toward that target. And that's a key word here -- target.  If you don't have one, then you're like an unguided missile, and who knows where you're going to land."

Have you ever felt like that?  Asked yourself the question, "How'd I end up here?"  Well, it's because you weren't focused on your target, or likely didn't have a target at all.

First step: Define WHAT you want for yourself in your life.  What is important to YOU?  What lights you up, drives you, or makes you want to get out of bed in the morning?

I firmly believe that we're all here for a reason; a purpose.  Each of us has a message to share.  And until we figure out what that is, and find a way to share it that is in line with our true selves, we'll go on feeling unfulfilled.

I believe that is why I have bounced from one job to the next... I've been continuously searching for how to fulfill my purpose in life.  I've been trying to figure out my unique message, and how to share it.  So I followed interests, which led me into a variety of jobs and industries, only to feel that familiar feeling of unfulfillment once I'm there a few weeks or months.

But I beleive that's part of the process.  Sure, some people "get lucky" and tune into their personal message at a young age and hop right on that train.  But others (like me), bounce around a while until they find it.

I think the key is, if you're feeling unfulfilled or unhappy with some aspect of your life, then there is more for you.  Keep looking.  Stay open.  Be willing to make changes.

As Dr. Phil encourages too: "The most you will ever get is what you ask for - so be bold enough to reach for what's truly important to you.  You deserve more, and you can have more, but first you have to name it to claim it."

"The most you'll ever get is what you ask for." 

I think that's a very important concept to understand.  If you're content with less, with "settling," then by all means, stay where you're at.  But if you're feeling that urge deep inside... that urge to do more, be more, that something isn't quite right... listen to that and respect it.  That's your Spirit guiding you.

And remember, you don't have to make major changes right away.  Take little steps if that's more comfortable for you.  And honestly, that may be the wiser course of action too.  But take steps.  Don't give up on yourself.  You have passions and dreams inside of you for a reason!

Take some time to narrow down what's really important to you... focus your target... and let that be your yardstick to help you make choices moving forward.  If something is a step towards your target (dream), take it!  If it's not, let it go and move on.  

I'd love to hear what your target(s) is/are!  Listening to other people's dreams and life paths is so interesting to me, as is helping in any way I can. Feel free to leave a comment below, or find me on Facebook (Sarah Noel), or Twitter (SarahNoelAuthor).  I'm working on creating a Facebook page dedicated solely to "Be You. Live Your Dream!"  I'll let you know when that's up.

In peace and love,

Sarah


No comments:

Post a Comment