Thursday, January 3, 2013

Make space for Wonderful!

I've read a few Facebook posts now about people de-cluttering for the new year.  Have I ever said how much I love de-cluttering?  It's one of my favorite things to do.  In fact, my sister has called me a few times in the past to help her clean out her closets and drawers because she knows I enjoy doing it.  I even started a business once, helping people de-clutter and organize their spaces. 

I heard something about why it's such a good idea to de-clutter somewhere years ago.  "We need to make SPACE for new, wonderful things in our lives!" 

How can we expect to attract something amazing if we have no room for it?  It's true. 

If you're feeling stagnant in your life.  If you're itching for a change.  If you don't know what to do to ignite a spark into your days, start by de-cluttering something

You can start small.  A closet perhaps.  Or a drawer.  Just know the more you get rid of, the more space you open up for something new and great! 

People often hold on to stuff.  They feel it connects them to the past, or to a certain person or event.  Momentos can be nice.  In moderation.  In excess, however, too much stuff keeps you stuck.

All I'm saying is that you probably have things in your home that you don't use, need, or aren't incredibly important to you.  Let those things go!  You'll feel more free and less stuck if you do.  I promise.  Plus, it feels good to see your unused items go to someone who actually needs them.  Donate them to a deserving charity organization.  Or have a garage sale, sell things really cheaply (remember, your goal is to get rid of stuff), and watch as people get great deals on good stuff that they actually need. 

Once you've purged your home and your life of all the unnecessary stuff that's been weighing you down, sit back and watch what happens.  I believe you'll see more goodness flow to you.  Everything is energy.  The more you give, the more you receive.  And when you give in love, you'll receive great things in return. 

I'd like to share an example from my life how de-cluttering and rearranging a few things in my house actually helped bring my boyfriend (and an ensuing wonderful relationship) to me. 

I had been living alone for twelve years.  Yes, twelve years!  (I'm very independent, and highly introverted, I want to add.)  I like living alone.  But at thirty-three years old (at the time), I was ready for a more serious, long-term relationship.  The thing is, my home was not set up for anyone but me to live in.  Here are a few things I did:

Moved my bed out from the wall, so people could actually get to and from the bed from both sides.
Put a second bed-side table on that now-open side of the bed. 
Got rid of a lot of clothes I no longer wore or liked and rearranged stuff in my closets and drawers to make some space for someone else's clothes. 
Set out decorations in pairs, instead of singles or multiples.  (A little feng shui never hurt anybody.) 
(In full disclosure, I was also saying an affirmation at this time regarding a long-term relationship, so who knows what actually "did it."  I like to believe, though, that everything played a role.) 

It wasn't long after I made those simple changes that I did, in fact, meet the guy who would go on to become my long-term boyfriend and move in with me!  Seriously, I'm talking not more than a couple months later! 

Everything comes to us when we're ready.  Relationships, jobs, money, homes, pets, children. 
So if you feel ready for a certain something in your life, start by making room for it!  That really is the first step! 



Quotes of the Day:   (I had no idea there were such great quotes about clutter!)

"Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful."  (William Morris)

"Clutter is a physical manifestation of fear that cripples our ability to grow." (H.G. Chissell)

"The more you have, the more you are occupied.  The less you have, the more free you are."  (Mother Teresa)

"Simplicity is making the journey of this life with just baggage enough." (Unknown)

"The sculptor produces the beautiful statue by chipping away such parts of the marble block as are not needd - it is a process of elimination."   (Elbert Hubbard)

No comments:

Post a Comment