Sunday, February 10, 2013

It will eventually arrive...and pass on by...

This week I will be working three 10-hour days, one 12-hour day, and one 8-hour day at the florist.  Not surprisingly, Valentine's Day is their busiest day of the year, but for them it's not just a day.  It's the entire week. 

I was hired on at the florist, four weeks ago, for this very week.  I was hired as "seasonal help," along with about ten other extra employees.  The past four weeks have basically been training, practice, and preparation for the week that is now upon us. 

I was excited for this week when they hired me, but as it drew nearer, I began to feel a little nervous and anxious about it.  I'm not used to working such long days.  Most of the time will be spent on my feet, more than likely.  I'm expecting back and foot pain...but also hopefully quick days since they will be so busy. 

I also, for some reason I am unable to find at the moment, chose to take in a foster puppy during this time.  Since 10 and 12 hours are too long to leave a puppy in a crate, I will be coming home over my lunch break.  I live about 10 minutes from the florist.  So my lunch breaks for the next five work days will be spent driving home, letting out Lulu, feeding all the animals, and driving back.  Hopefully I can do all that in thirty minutes.

I realized as I am actually at the beginning of this much-anticipated week, that I'm no longer nervous about it.  Our nerves and anxiety tend to be directed toward future events.  But once those events move from "future" to "present," the anxiety often disappears.  Why is this?

Anxiety is a fear of an expected event or outcome.  Something that's not actually here.  Not actually happening in the moment.  So once that moment arrives, we're forced to DO something.  Action is the best defense against anxiety.

Everything that we worry about, have anxiety over, and even look forward to will eventually arrive.  The time will be upon us.  It'll be time to act.  Then that event will pass on by.  It'll be over before we know it. 

So why all the anxiety leading up to it? 

I'm as guilty of this as the next person.  Probably more so than a lot of people.  I try to plan everything.  How will it go?  I want to know in advance so I can be prepared.  Will I be able to do it?  I want to know what to expect, so I can guage an answer to that question before agreeing to do something in the first place. 

But we often don't know the answers to those questions ahead of time.  We usually can't know the answers, really, because we can only plan and prepare so much.  The future will bring what it brings, much of which will likely be unexpected. 

Know this:  Whatever comes, you can deal with it.  The Universe wouldn't bring you anything that you can't handle. 

And even if it's something stressful in the moment, and you don't like it, remember that soon it'll be over.  Soon it'll be a part of the past.  No longer in the present, forcing you to deal with it.  No longer a future event to be worried over.  Everything comes...and goes. 

Why so much stress, worry, and anxiety?  Just relax and let it all flow around you.  Let it all pass, like a river flowing around you as you stand amidst its waters. 

Whatever will come, dealing with the situation in the present likely won't be so bad.  You can do it.  You'll get through it.  It will pass.

So enjoy today.  Enjoy the moment, whatever it is. 

I'll do my best to enjoy this week, as packed as it is.  Because next week will be completely different.        
 

Quotes of the Day:


"We are always getting ready to live but never living."  (Ralph Waldo Emerson)



"The best thing about the future is that it comes only one day at a time."  (Abraham Lincoln)


"If you spend your whole life waiting for the storm, you'll never enjoy the sunshine."  (Morris West)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment