Thursday, February 28, 2013

Are there Limits to Giving?

"No matter how great the desire is to please another, let it be no greater than the desire to be yourself."  (tut.com)


There's nothing wrong with doing things for others.  With making other people happy.  As long as it's not at the price of not being yourself.

It's when we do acts of service as ourselves, in love, that those acts become magical.  Pure love in action.

I think it's fun to do things for other people.  When I'm doing them out of love, that is, and not out of obligation.  The whole "random acts of kindness" thing is brilliant.  Paying for someone else's parking fee.  Buying the car behind you's coffee.  Paying for another table's dinner tab.  




If I'm being honest, and the #1 thing I want to be here is honest, I haven't done any of those things.  Yet.  I think they'd be totally awesome!  But I don't think about them at the time.  I need to condition myself to think more outside my little world.  

If I'm buying myself a coffee, it's usually as a treat.  I tend to think, "I don't have money to buy other people's coffee too."  But that's not true.  If I can afford to buy my coffee, I can afford to buy someone else's.





As I sit here now and consider this, I'm seeing how I've been living from a state of lack.  From a fear of not having enough.  

This is a revelation.  Honestly. 

I always believed I had good, positive feelings about money.  I'm never afraid of running out... as long as I take great care with what I spend and am choosy about where my dollars go.  

Maybe that's the key.  Maybe I need to give more.  Be more generous.  

With love, they say the more you give, the more you receive.  

I think it's similar with money.  Granted, it may not be wise to give away every last dollar you have, and then sit and wait for it to come streaming back.  But then again, who am I to say? 




I have always donated money to causes I believe in.  I donate regularly to the animal shelter I volunteer at because I believe in the work they do and know it's a good place filled with very good people.  I give in love.  But in the back of my mind is a little voice saying, "Ok, now that's enough.  That's enough giving."  

I also have always received more than I've ever asked for.  I've always felt taken care of, financially.  Whether it's coming from surprise gifts from my aunt or grandmother, completely unexpected inheritances from family members I hardly knew, or finding a dollar on the ground.  Money has always come, in some form, in some amount.  

I wonder, now, if I'm not so specific with what I give, and so "Ok, that's enough," if that'll open my door wider to receive even greater.

Does giving with limits equate to receiving with limits?  

I'm guessing probably so.  

Hmmm....

Of course there are limits.  There is a limit to the amount we all have in our bank accounts at this very moment.  But the Universe is limitless.

I don't have the answer to the question you're all probably asking.  I'm asking the same one.  But it's certainly food for thought, no?  

Perhaps I'll do a little experiment.  Give more and see what happens.  Pay for that other diner's bill, anonymously.  Don't be so afraid of running out of money.  Have even more faith that I will be taken care of.  

I'll let you know how it goes.

I do want to make a final point before I go.  Or a final reminder.  The giving has to come from love.  Not fear. 



Love doesn't require anything in return. 
Love doesn't require recognition or praise. 
Love is generous and kind, not boastful and arrogant. 

I'm sure we all know people who give a lot who don't give out of love.  They give for the reasons I just mentioned.  For recognition, for something in return, to show others how "giving" they are. 

That is not real giving. 




That's why it's essential to first love yourself and first give to yourself.  Because if you ARE Love and already feel that you have all that you need, then the giving that you do can come from a place of true generosity and true love.




It's the whole "Put the oxygen mask on yourself before assisting other passengers" deal.  Give to yourself first.  Love yourself first.  Then go out in the world and give as much love as you can!

Hey, since we're all connected, we're all One, giving to others IS giving to yourself, right?    





Quotes of the Day:


"We make a living by what we get.  We make a life by what we give."  (Winston Churchill) 


“You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give.”  (Kahlil Gibran)   http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/giving


“Give, but give until it hurts.”  ( Mother Teresa)   http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/giving




         

    

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful post!!! Love when you said the Universe is limitless. I believe that to be so true. Thanks for giving us food for thought. Definitely something I need to think about more. I'd really like to give more freely. Of course, with love.

    Joelyne
    x

    ReplyDelete