Tuesday, February 26, 2013

THIS is your Life

THIS is your life.  Walking the dog, doing the laundry, cleaning the house, going to work.... this is the life you have built. 

Whatever season of your life that you're in, this is it.  This is the only time exactly like this that you'll ever have.  Are you happy with your choices?  The ones you've made in the past and the ones you're currently making?  Are they taking you down the path you want to be headed down? 

If not, what are you doing about it?

Every year at Thanksgiving my family (my parents, two sisters, and me) take a picture for Christmas cards and a calendar my mom has made.  This past year my youngest sister looked at every picture on the digital camera and complained that she looked fat.  We tried different set-ups, different positions, and every time she was dissatisfied. 

I was like, "Well, what are you going to do about it?" 

I realize that may sound harsh, and mind you, while my sister could afford to lose some weight (by her own admission), she's still a very pretty girl.  She's also an athlete and has been involved in sports her whole life.  And now that her college playing days are over, she doesn't have that "forced" physical activity anymore. 

The cold, hard truth is we all choose our lives. 

We choose our reactions to stuff that happens around us.
We choose the jobs we have and the people we get involved with. 
We choose what to eat and how to spend our time. 



Your life at this moment is a product of all your previous and current choices. 

Your feelings right now are also your choice.  If you're feeling depressed (perhaps not clinically... I realize there are more serious degrees of depression), sad, blue... it is in your power to lift your spirits. 

Likewise if you're feeling jealous, angry, hurt, or even just annoyed... it's in your power to change that.  At any given moment it's in your power to raise your vibrational frequency and alter your state of mind.  Improve your mood.  Granted, at some times it will be more difficult than other times -- depending on how entrenched in the negative emotion you are.  But still... the power is there.  The choice is yours. 

All emotions fall in the range from Love to Fear.  Each feeling is more one or the other. 
And at each circumstance of your life, you can literally choose to live in Love or live in Fear



Do you love your job?  Or are you going to it day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year because you're living in fear?  Fear of not finding another job.  Fear of what people might think if you quit.  Fear of "taking a step backwards." 

Are you happy, content, and at peace in your current relationship?  Or are you sticking with that person out of fear?  Fear that you won't find someone else, or someone "better."  Fear of being alone. 
Fear (again) of what people might think if you leave this person who everyone else seems to this is perfect for you?

Are you happy with your body and your health?  Or are you making choices out of fear?  Choosing to eat unhealthy foods because that's what everyone around you eats and you don't want to stand out.  Choosing not to exercise and lose weight because then you might get more attention and you're not sure you want that.  Or choosing not to exercise and eat healthy because people might laugh at you. 

You can do this for all aspects of your life.  In fact, I encourage it. 



Your life as you see it right now -- your work, relationships, body, home, lifestyle -- is a direct creation by you. 

Do you want to be unhappy?  If not, then choose to be happy!  It really is that simple.  Simple, but not always easy. 

It all starts with your thoughts.  Affirm yourself every chance you get.  Never put yourself down.  No matter what anyone else says to you, names they may call you, or comments they might make, you can choose to leave it.  Just don't pick it up. 

And any thoughts you have swirling around in your head that are negtive towards you in any way... drop them.  The next time you notice yourself saying something of a put-down about yourself, stop yourself, and gently and lovingly redirect your thoughts to be more positive and affirming. 

"I'm so fat."  ------  "I choose to be healthy and look and feel good." 
"No one loves me."  ------  "The Universe adores me and love is pouring into my life right now." 
"I'll always be poor and have no money."  ------  "I am following my heart, doing what I love, and the abundance of the Universe is pouring into my life." 

Man, just writing those positive affirmations makes me feel better! 

I was struggling yesterday with the "final" break-up with my boyfriend.  I realized when he moved out a month and a half ago, it was a separation, for sure, but the potential of getting back together was always on the table.  We didn't go more than a few days without talking.  And we didn't go more than a week without seeing each other.  I knew he still wanted to be with me, and I was figuring out how I felt. 

Then on Sunday when he left, it felt more like a final break-up.  And though I knew that's what  I wanted and needed, it was still hard.  I spent most of yesterday in a low haze.  As in, I felt low (depressed, though I hesitate to use that word, again, because I know there are more serious cases of depression than what I was feeling).  I also felt very unmotivated.  Just as I had felt for a few days after he moved out.  If you recall, that's the time when I didn't write any blog posts for a few days.  Or I was very sporadic about it.  I also didn't write much of anything. 

It was like a part of my life, of myself even, had been ripped away and I needed to heal.  Regroup. 

Yesterday was much the same, though thankfully, didn't last as long.  I wrote in my journal a lot yesterday and that, along with talking with (and emailing) good friends, helped right my ship. 

Sometimes we may choose to be in a depressed state.  It may be what we need for a time.  But sooner or later, we need to choose to be happy again.  Choose to move on with our lives.  Knowing that while we're disappointed that _________ (that relationship, that job, whatever) didn't work out like we wanted it to, we ARE ok.  In fact, life will be even better from now on! 

If we choose it.

I do.  Do you?            




Quotes of the Day:


“You can’t cross the sea merely by standing and staring at the water.” (Rabindranath Tagore) http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/choice


"Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice."  (Wayne Dyer) http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/w/waynedyer165697.html#hgp0EfRwtcjGRkVx.99



"All that we are is the result of what we have thought. If a man speaks or acts with an evil thought, pain follows him. If a man speaks or acts with a pure thought, happiness follows him, like a shadow that never leaves him."  (Buddha)  http://www.wonderful-quotes.com/happiness-quotes.html

No comments:

Post a Comment