Thursday, April 4, 2013

Everything isn't an Opportunity to Jump on

You don't have to say "yes" to everything that comes your way. 

Everything isn't an opportunity to be jumped on. 

Some things are there, for a reason, yes, and that reason is to remind you of what you want and keep you on track instead of straying off. 
                        

Yesterday at work at the florist a co-worker approached me and asked if I was still single.  I told her, yes, and she proceeded to ask if I'd be interested in meeting her brother-in-law. 

She went on to tell me about him and honestly said that he's not "marriage material" (her words), but he is a nice guy, and anyway, would I be interested in meeting him?  He travels a lot for work, and has a hard time meeting people, and isn't looking for any serious committments, but perhaps someone to meet for dinner on occasion.  That's the way she presented it.   

I'm not exactly sure why my co-worker asked if I'd be interested in meeting this guy.  Perhaps she was put up to it by her husband (the guy's brother), or the guy himself, asking her to introduce him to single women.  I don't know.  But I appreciated her candor and upfront attitude about the kind of guy he is.  "Nice, but not marriage material." 

I got to thinking about it.  People rarely (as in, hardly ever) approach me and offer to set me up with someone.  Yet, it happened last night.  And the thing is, this guy is so not what I'm looking for.  The only thing I heard about him that piqued my interest is his job.  He works for a racing team, and I'm really into racing.  But that's it. 

I told my co-worker that I'd be up for meeting him, but it would just be as friends.  I don't typically turn down offers to meet people because you never know what could come out of it.  You could become great friends.  The person could lead to you meeting other people that you wouldn't otherwise meet.  An awesome job could somehow result.  You never know.  The Universe works in mysterious ways. 

So perhaps you should jump on every opportunity, but not for the reasons you think. 

             

The concept of being set-up with a guy is typically a romantic set-up.  So immediately, when my co-worker approached me, my gut instinct was "no."  And I know this guy isn't a romantic connection for me.  But as I think about it in other terms, it could actually be an opportunity from the Universe.

If nothing else, being presented with the opportunity to possibly "date" this guy reminded me of what I want.  And this guy isn't it.  That's intially what I meant when I started typing this blog (before other ideas and thoughts came to me as I typed). 

Just because I'm offered the "opportunity" to date this guy, doesn't mean it's the Universe telling me I should date him.  It could quite possibly be the Universe throwing this at me to keep me on track and remind me of the type of person I do want to date from now on. 

The same thought can apply to job opportunities.  Not every job offer that comes your way is the Universe telling you, "Hey, this is what you should do!"  It could be the Universe sending you something that elicits feelings of "I don't want this" to remind you of what you do want.  And to keep you on course. 

That's also happened to me.  About a year ago, when I had been working as a writer as my only job, my mom asked if I'd be interested in substitute teaching for her when she knew she'd miss work.  In the past, when I was subbing, I would be her sub whenever she'd be out.  And I have subbed at the school she now works at many times and it's a great school to work at. 

But when she asked me that, my stomach clenched and my gut screamed "No!"  I politely told my mom, "Thanks, but I'm not ready to sub again."

Having the opportunity, right in front of me, to sub again made it very clear that that is not what I want to do.

I'm feeling similar feelings with the additional hours at the florist now.  I know this is not what I want to do. 

Sometimes it takes being offered an opportunity to realize that actually, that's not what you want.  To remind you of what you do want and to boost your conviction to stay the course.  Or get back on it if you've strayed slightly. 


Additional Quotes:

                                 

                                                       

          

No comments:

Post a Comment