Saturday, December 22, 2012

Slow down!

This time of year can get hectic.  You're running around, buying presents for people, maybe getting special food for get-togethers.  There are holiday parties to attend.  Family gatherings.  It's easy to feel overwhelmed and stressed. 

Slow down! 

I know it sounds contradictory to slow down when you're feeling rushed and actually do have a lot that needs to get done.  But it's what your spirit is crying out for you to do.  Believe it or not, it'll actually make you feel better -- less stressed -- when you slow down. 

I reminded myself to do this a few days ago, then again today.  Both times I had a full day ahead of me.  I had multiple errands to run.  Several places I "needed" to go.  Lots to get done.  When I have a lot on my to-do list, I tend to feel stressed.  I just want it all done, so I can then relax. 

But at one point during a drive from one point to the next, I reminded myself to slow down.  I focused my attention on my breathing and relaxed my neck and shoulders.  I could feel my body relaxing, letting the stress go.  I felt my heart fill with love -- the love that had been absent, or rather drowned out by the anxiety.  I could then move forward in love.  And everything still got done.

We all get stressed from time to time.  Our to-do lists can get lengthy.  But worrying about it and stressing about it, as we rush from place to place, checking off item after item, won't make anything better.  In fact, things may take longer to accomplish when we're stressed rather than relaxed and calm.  Not to mention it's just plain not enjoyable. 

So relax.  Everything will get done.  Don't worry about it.  And if something doesn't get done - that last item or two on the list - "so what?"  What needs to be done will be done.  The Universe has your back. 

Remember this during the holidays, and every day in the new year.  When you're feeling stressed from so much to do - slow down
Breathe. 
Relax your body. 
Focus on love. 
Be present.   
Be YOU and go forth in love! 


Quote of the Day:

"Stress is an ignorant state.  It believes that everything is an emergency.  Nothing is that important."  (Natalie Goldberg)

No comments:

Post a Comment